I recently had the opportunity to present to the Atlanta Pardot User Group on GDPR, CASL, CAN-SPAM and other email marketing compliance obligations (alternate presentation title: “Is the sky falling or not?”)
Data privacy and opt-in compliance are front and center for marketing and sales teams, with some of the most stringent global compliance requirements yet coming into effect in May 2018.
My biggest takeaway from the discussion in the room is that while marketers want to stay “white hat” and follow the relevant laws in the countries they market their business in, it’s not always clear how to do that logistically.
Questions About Compliance & What This Means for Our Businesses
The following areas of discussion popped up — and unfortunately there isn’t always a super clear answer to these questions:
- What technology do we need to comply with these regulations… that were written by people that know very little (nothing) about digital marketing and think 3rd party cookies are the kind you buy at a grocery store?
- Is it even technically possible to be 100% in compliance with GDPR, CASL, and other regulations?
- How much slack will the regulatory powers-that-be cut us if we make a good faith effort to comply, but still fall short?
- What’s the tradeoff between playing by the rules and moving the needle on marketing results?
- How do I grow my list in a compliant way?
- What about all of these weird, one-off scenarios that aren’t addressed anywhere in the law and that my lawyer won’t give me a straight answer on?
- Who is ACTUALLY going to get sued for this stuff at the end of the day?
Download the Slides from the Meeting
Check out the slide deck to learn more on what your compliance obligations are, what tools Salesforce has available, and what gaps may still exist in your organization today.
Fill out the form below to get the slides!